Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Our Last Two Months: From Desert to Snow Storm

Hello from a snowy, wet, and cold Jerusalem, Fenster Followers!

Sorry it has been so long since we've written but life has been going full speed the past few months. Days and weeks took a turn from being non-stop adventures, to non-stop life! Filled with classes and trips across the country, and time with friends and even a little netflix.

Hiking in the Arava
We've been happily enjoying what seems to be what is semi-normal married life. Since we last posted:
-The war ended (funny thing about Israel, no one called it a "war" until after it was over).
-We visited the Arava - TWICE and it is my new favorite place in the world.
In the Arava
-We celebrated Thanksgiving with the entire HUC family (Jason was even honored with carving one of the turkeys).
-We saw Rabbi Katz (Jason's hometown rabbi who co- officiated our wedding). He even mentioned us in HIS blog.
Our first wedded Thanksgiving!
Rabbi Katz took us out to dinner









-Gavi's friend Jill came from the States to visit!
-We celebrated Hanukkah (and ate TONS of sufganiyot)
-We visited Mea Shearim for the first time, and I bought Jason his very own personalized shtender (a table top book holder for studying) for Hanukkah.
-Our parents booked their tickets to come visit us in Israel (Debbie and Steve come late January and Marilyn and Remy get here mid February)
- Some of Gavi's friends from high school visited Jerusalem.
- Jason survived his first finals week of rabbincal school (with a serious cold no less!)
-We went on a social justice trip around Israel learning about some of the different challenges facing Israel today.
-Today, we met up with Jason's cousins Orit and Rina from Toronto. They braved some crazy weather to meet us for lunch at Tmol Shilshon (an awesome little cafe/bookstore) and we were so happy for the chance to catch up.
Sufganiyot from Roladin
Personalized shtender









So, why today of all days did I choose to dust off the blog and finally update?

Because it is SNOWING in Jerusalem (mostly hailing and sleeting, but there is actual snow stuck to cars as I look out our window) and that means the city shut down at around 1pm today and classes were canceled! This unexpected half snow day meant I finally had some unscheduled time to give you a little update on life here.
A snowy and cold Family Reunion on Yaffo St.
An update on the weather: I don't know if you've heard, but the weather in Israel has been crazy. Major flooding around the country, highways closed, and many trees down. Coming from NY, neither of us are afraid of a little snow and rain, but what has been different is how constant this storm has been. We've spent the past 5 days in the rain and wind and it really has been non-stop (good news, Jason finally figured out how to fix the windows so they didn't clatter with each gust of wind).

The non-stop cold and wet has helped me really appreciate a few items I brought along with me from the States that I had been on the fence about while packing and now can't imagine how I could have survived without.

1) My Hunter rainboots - they are heavy and took up lots of space in my suitcase but without them my feet, socks, and shoes would have been consistently soaking for 5 days straight.
2) A heating pad - when I brought it to India it blew many a fuse. Here it has warmed many a toe, back, and bed.
3) The thermal long johns my mom bought for my Utah trip when I was 15 - Yes, I have 4 pairs of leggings, but these are warmer. (Thanks mom)
4) A double layered jacket made out of sweatshirt - as I was packing I thought "but I already have a fleece" true, and now I can wear the sweatshirt, the fleece AND my waterproof windbreaker at the same time and be super warm and dry.
5) Kraft Mac & Cheese - no explanation needed.


There you have it friends and family! My reflections on the weather in Jerusalem. I must tell you, that today in Ulpan (Hebrew immersion) we were talking non-stop about the weather and it was a true joy to talk about something so universal and simple. A few months ago in Ulpan the current events discussions focused on the war and, before that, nuclear weapons, and I learned words like "weapon", "rocket", and "shelter." Today I learned the words for "flood" and "hail". A very welcome change in my vocabulary.

With love,
gavi

No comments:

Post a Comment